Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Remakes of movies--good or bad?

Hollywood's been on a kick for a long time remaking older movies. Some of them turned out to be really good, and I was happy to see them done. For example, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (starring Steve Martin and Michael Caine) was a HILARIOUS remake of Bedtime Story. I also liked the remake of Ocean's Eleven (didn't care for the sequels, but that's a different blog post, LOL).

But then I hear that movies like Short Circuit, starring Ally Sheedy and Steve Guttenberg (if you don't remember the original, go HERE to check out the IMDB info) are getting remade.

REALLY?! My jaw dropped clear to the floor when I found that out.

The original film was so, so, so cheesetacular, LOL...why waste time remaking this instead of coming up with a whole new movie? Who gave this idea the thumbs up?!

AND, to make me cry even harder, they're remaking Dirty Rotten Scoundrels to release in 2010. How can they possibly come close to the working chemistry between Martin and Caine? They were so, so funny together.

So, how do you feel about remakes--yay, keep 'em coming? Nay, it's time to move on to fresh material? Dish!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:32 PM

    I'm undecided, but I really think you need to wait a generation or so before you consider remaking a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is a classic that doesn't need to be remade. I didn't really like the remake of Willy Wonka either, although the last remake of the Hulk was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:00 PM

    Well, they did make a Boardway musical version of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, so maybe the new Hollywood remake would actually be a musical version. (Kind of like the movie musical remake of "The Producers".)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, what about the "remake" of NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK???? Um, that band should never have come back! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are some stories that don't age, and others that though they're a bit browned on the edges really shouldn't be touched. But Hollywood recycles everything and eventually you'll see the movies you've adored for years trashed.
    As long as they don't ever remake Big Trouble in Little China I'm happy, that movie is too much a classic to take away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm getting a little sick of the lack of imagination that Hollywood has had lately. Stop remaking recent films!

    I signed a petition to stop MTV from remaking the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Can you imagine what they would've turned that classic into? High School Musical meets Kraft Cheese Spread. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually don't care for remakes or sequels. Speed 2 anyone? Blech.

    I do, however, like adaptations. Such as "10 Things I Hate About You" and "Clueless".

    ReplyDelete