Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I smell a theme...

I can't stop thinking about Mel's post yesterday, so I decided to keep it going - in my own way. So, let's say you're still headed to that deserted island and that it's fully equipped with a solar powered personal DVD player. What three movies do you take?

If you'd asked me in high school, I would have said:

1. The Breakfast Club
2. Better Off Dead
3.The Lost Boys

Now, although I still love all those movies (The Breakfast Club also provides a nice sampling of '80's music), there are others I might need to swap in. Plus, I like having a touch of something darker. I think my current list would look like this:

1. The Breakfast club
2. LA Story
3. Blade Runner

Of course, there are so many other great movies that list leaves out. That eternal classic, The Princess Bride, for example. My Blue Heaven or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, two more of my favorite Steve Martin movies. The Underworld movies. Then there are the golden oldies: Mame, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, Houseboat, or anything with Cary Grant.

How do you choose? What would you choose? Share your three!

10 comments:

  1. Only three, huh?
    Ok. Here goes:

    1) Jaws (I love that movie and it kind of fits with the surrounded by water thing)

    2) Some Like It Hot (Comic relief. This movie cracks me up!)

    3)The Sound of Music (For the romance and the music)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, gooooood question! And I love your taste, BTW. LOL

    In high school, these would have been my movies:

    The Princess Bride

    Grease

    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

    Here are my current flicks (I chose them because they are ones I could watch over and over again and still love them):

    Pride and Prejudice -- A&E vsn

    The Thorn Birds -- I loooooove Richard Chamberlain, and this miniseries always does it for me

    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels -- Steve Martin is CLASSIC in this film, and this covers the comedy angle for me. LOL

    Tough question! There are so many I'd miss...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Pretty in Pink
    2. Dirty Dancing
    3. American President
    4. Better Off Dead
    5. Lethal Weapon Box set


    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so hard and will change in 5 minutes but bbc Pride and Prejudice and I thing Purple Rain for Prince and the Music and I think a Mira Nair movie but which one. Mississpi Masala for Denzel. man I've left so much off. Bummer. Like Independence Day. I love that silly movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's see... They'd have to be movies I can watch over and over again without getting sick of them.

    Ladyhawke
    Jumpin' Jack Flash
    Armageddon

    If it were more than three, I'd probably throw in My Fair Lady or Brigadoon (for the musical element), and maybe Legend or...

    Oh wait! I can't be on a desert island without Mython Python and the Holy Grail. What was I thinking? =o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:32 AM

    I'm just thinking of the movies I like to watch over and over again, so here goes:

    1. Grease
    2. Dirty Dancing
    3. Oceans Eleven

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agony!

    How about:

    -- Shakespeare in Love
    -- Grosse Pointe Blank
    -- Iron Man

    (Iron Man rules!) :-)

    Though if I had a second three, maybe:

    -- Singing in the Rain
    -- Pride and Prejudice (BBC/A&E version)
    -- Star Wars

    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:41 PM

    If I could have a second three, then:

    4. BBC version of Pride & Prejudice
    5. Heathers
    6. Little Women (Winona Ryder version)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mel, you are cheating. First you pick five...and one of them is a box set. She said 3 dvds.

    1.Princess Bride
    2. Dirty Dancing
    3. Better Off Dead


    That is painful.
    And I just noticed that my three are probably the same three I'd have chosen in high school.

    I may be stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm, what a question!
    1) Last of the Mohicans
    2) Bad Boys
    3)Bad Boys 2

    ReplyDelete