Friday, June 05, 2009

You never close your eyes anymore...

Today, I'm thinking about big gestures and romance in film. Specifically--the Big Serenade. You know--when the hero humiliates himself and throws down some not very good singing or lip syncing, but is endearing and wonderful anyway. Something about those make me all oogly inside. The songs are almost always classics and it's a timeless way into my heart.

Here are some of my favorites:



I mean--Tom Cruise was so...normal then.

And how about Derek and Sydney?


Jerry O'Connell, you are really pretty to look at. And while I wouldn't throw you out for singing in the shower--I probably wouldn't take you to Karaoke either. Just sayin'.

Something about the Duckman--



And lastly, my all time favorite...



And now that I am crying--do you have any favorites?

8 comments:

  1. LOL I love the ones you picked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that scene in 10 Things I Hate About You. Heh. The only other serenade I can think of is from a silly movie called Sergeant Bilko - except he got his unit of misfits to serenade her. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer Russell11:37 AM

    That scene from Pretty in Pink is one of my favorites. More recently, I also loved the Elephant Love Medley from Moulin Rouge. But, I think my all-time favorite serenade is Surrey With the Fringe on Top from Oklahoma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Six words:
    NOBODY puts Baby in the corner.

    Iiiiii haaaaaaaad the tiiime of myyy liii-iii-iiife!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, I can't really think of any others. Was there a singing scene in Roxanne? I should remember, I love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duckie sure knew how to dress! There's a confident man for you.

    And I've always loved the 10 Things scene. Thanks for posting these, Gwen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried to find a clip of Lloyd Dobler and his boombox, but never youtube didn't have any. Which was weird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit, I'm a little jealous. I think I would blush a storm, but would love to have a serenade like that.

    ReplyDelete