Friday, June 19, 2009

Student Driver


Both our daughters (my progeny and my stepchild) took Driver's Ed this spring, much to our...um...enjoyment. . And I managed this without a single call to the pharmacy, so yes, please praise me lavishly.

I noticed the difference between the girls personalities and their driving styles on the first day. One daughter narrated the experience--I'm making a right hand turn, checking mirrors, blinker....now I'm turning the wheel. She also drove like a grandpa--under speed limit and with enough room to park the Starship Enterprise between us and the car in front of us.

The other daughter drove a little faster that what she was comfortable with. She veered a little to0 close to the fog line and didn't use enough pressure on the brakes quickly enough for me. She also really seemed exhilarated by the experience. Driving was fun! It was an adventure.

I won't tell you which girl did which, but if they are reading this--I've noticed that the way you drove that first day is very similar to the way you treat your hearts. One girl is slow to give it, mindful of her actions, and seems a little more untouchable. The other is more heedless but gives herself to it with the spirit of an explorer. Neither of them has, in my opinion, has found a boy worthy of them yet. But I'm supposed to say that, I'm their mom.

Driver's Ed hasn't changed much since I took it 20 plus years ago. Well, except for the price.

I remember one day my instructor kept telling me "no brake, no brake" but there was clearly a man standing in the middle of the road up ahead. So, I pointed out the human obstacle and the teachers said, "Well, what's he doing there?" So I said....wait for it.....

"I don't know. Do you want me to ask him before or after I hit him."

So yeah, I really always have been this sarcastic.

Do you have any good driver's ed stories? Did you exemplify your personality your first time behind the wheel?

6 comments:

  1. I failed my driving test the first time. Apparently running over the orange cones? Instant fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack. I had to retake drivers' ed because I put the car in the ditch the first time. It was so totally not my fault. If the instructor hadn't yelled at me to turn before I was ready, I wouldn't have over turned. I mean it's not like anyone was behind me. Jerk.

    I've been putting off sending my daughter to driving school. Aside from the expense and the insurance (and the fearful mama syndrome), we only have one car and I drive her wherever she needs to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You talk about your kids the way an artist discusses their work. Which, I suppose, makes you a mother who considers the job an artform.

    I noticed it when I ment you in person and it made me adore you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrissy just made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwwwwwwwwwww i liked chrissy's comment too.

    i don't know if my driving is the same as my personality style...i'll have to think about this. good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first time out with my permit, I popped the tire on my mom's van on a curb trying to avoid a cone.

    I failed my drivers test the first time because I was sitting at a red light that turned green right as I started hearing sirens. I wasn't sure if I should go because I couldn't tell how far they were and if they were headed towards me. The car behind me honked. My instructor WIGGED OUT like we were going to die because I lingered after the light turned green and made me go straight back the the DMV. I bawled my eyes out.

    The second time? I passed with an almost perfect test. I got knocked once for not doing a traffic check. And let me tell you, I was SO happy I didn't have the same woman from the first time. I would have been a (more) nervous wreck.

    Also, I've never been pulled over or in an accident since I got my license. So, apparently, my rocky start isn't a reflection of my overall ability to drive.

    Good luck to your daughters!

    ReplyDelete