Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dumped!

Probably one of the worst feelings in the world is getting dumped. Sadly, though, unless you're one of the very lucky few, it's just a fact of life. Pretty much everyone has been dumped at some time in their life.

It can truly turn your life upside if you let it. You can experiences feelings of depression or anxiety. You'll probably cry and wonder what was wrong with you. And sticking with what seems to have been our impromptu Theme Week this week, you might gorge yourself on junk food. (I know I'm definitely guilty of that.)

Getting dumped can leave you with a weight in your chest, a hole in your life. You long for a time when life was eaiser. Maybe you think that if they don't come back, you'll never fill that gap in your life elsewhere.

So how can you get over the pain? The first step is to accept that your ex is gone and isn't coming back. Allow yourself to cry. Take time to grieve. It's OK. But remember that it will get better. Trust me on this.

The next thing I do is talk to my friends until I get bored of the topic myself. If I'm talked out, I'm probably starting to feel better. Communication is key.

Come up with an action plan. This might mean getitng some exercise, or starting a new hobby. Maybe it's as simple as taking some nice hot bubble baths. But you need to do something to make yourself feel better. And if you throw yourself into it, you're more likely to get better sooner.

So what about you? Have you ever been dumped? Or have you always been the dumpee? What have you done to make yourself feel better?

4 comments:

  1. I tended to be the dumpee when i was dating, but I was dumped once. he and i started dating in 1st period, and by 4th period, there was a note in my locker. hahaha. he was breaking up with me...guess things were moving too fast or something. not sure how that could have happened, since i actually hadn't seen him in the 3 periods we'd been going out, but whatever.

    great topic! i too love turning to food as comfort. BAD rhonda. i can't help it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on both sides. I also went out with a few guys that sort of...weaned...themselves. I can look back now and see they were slowly dumping me, but at the time, I was all, "Hey, I just realized I haven't gone on a date with Joe Dude in a month. What's up with that?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. I've never actually been dumped. Always been the dumpee. Did you know most men cry when you say no to a marriage proposal? It's true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda Brice5:08 PM

    Know what I just realized. I mixed up the terms "dumper" and "dumpee." Duh.

    So what I mean to say was "Have you ever been dumped? Or have you always been the dumper?"

    ReplyDelete