Monday, June 08, 2009

theme week: Nicknames

We here at Fictionistas thought we'd talk about nicknames this week. Weird ones, bad ones, unwanted ones...

I've had my share of nicknames over the years. Starting at a very young age my daddy called me Lissa Jane. (My middle name is not Jane, btw) Actually, I thought about using that name as a pen name for a long time.

In 6th grade, I ate french fries every day at lunch. That was pretty much all I ate...and the newest nickname was born. Every tshirt I owned had French Fry on the back.

I tried out Missy for about a half a second. That didn't stick and boy am I glad. I'm just not a Missy.

I was called McKenzie for the majority of my sports life. Or MelMac. When the tv show ALF hit the airwaves, MelMac took on a whole new meaning. That was the planet Alf came from. I didn't really want to be the alien planet, though I'm still called MelMac by some old friends to this day.

I was also called '33' a lot. It was my basketball and softball number. And yes, I still hear 33 on occasion.

But my real nickname is the one I still go by today. Mel. Most everyone calls me Mel except for my parents and Fishdog. Mel is the name I prefer but when I introduce myself as Mel Francis, I always have to let them know my name is Melissa--not Melanie or Melody.

My kids have nicknames. Goose is my oldest son and Monkey is the youngest. Goose's friends also call him Nemo. I'm guessing that's going to be the name that sticks for him--except for his parents. He'll always be our Goose. Monkey will be in 6th grade next year. I'm guessing he'll be getting his own nickname pretty soon. It's always fun to see what they decide on. I never would've guessed my oldest would become Nemo, but he has. And oddly enough, it fits.

What nicknames have you had over the years? Anything stick that you wish wouldn't have?

16 comments:

  1. I had one nickname as a small child that still makes me cringe today. (And I'm not telling.) When I was in high school, my group of friends and I all picked nicknames for ourselves. I was Bruno. We only ever used them when we were passing notes, though. Our own secret code, just in case the notes were intercepted. Bruno, Mags, Gonzo, Stretch... and I forget what the last girl was called. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to answer this, but then what would I talk about tomorrow? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my maiden name was a fruit, so I got all kinds of variations on it. Chelle bell or Chelley Belle are common. My most recent, and might I add favorite is from YOU! Leigh Belle. It combines the writer in me with the affections of others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love giving nicknames. Am glad to know the one I gave you is a keeper, Leight Belle. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. er, that would be Leigh Belle...without the t. duh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was usually called my last name growing up, because I was always in one sport or another. I smiled at the mention of your name on the back of your shirt...Yep, did the same thing! I've gone from Debbie to Deb, and actually only my Mom calls me Debra, and that is when she is mad at me, lol. Hubs calls me Bozo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lulu is my most frequent nickname; I went by that exclusively for the first 12 years of my life until I outgrew it. Recently I've been feeling like I'm growing back into it, though...

    ReplyDelete
  8. NICE--I'll share mine on Wednesday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always wanted a nickname as a kid, but I guess with a name as short as mine no one could think of anything.

    Well, except for my third-grade teacher, who called me Carrot Cake, and then Caracas. My best friend from third grade still calls me those sometimes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amanda Brice2:43 PM

    I'll be sharing on Thursday, although I've never been much for nicknames for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My parents have weird nicknames for me. But the funnest one I can think of was "Pimpiest Pimp." When I was a sophomore in high school, I played with the local community college basketball team during the summer. On one trip, I picked up more guys than any of them and earned my nickname. Lol. I got a friend request on FB the other day from one of them with that in the note and I rolled around laughing. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My middle son has the name Monkey too. He hoped to lose it at Uni and was only there for three weeks before they all started calling him Monkeyman then shortening it to Monkey.
    My own nickname (which I hated) was Boney Lonie (rhyming sound) but I soon lost that once I put on some weight as a teen :D Now it's just Lonie :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. My school friends call me Bob. My husband calls me Wench. Oddly, my children call me Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was the youngest of three and when my older sisters had dates over I did my best to be the annoying little sister. As a result one boyfriend said if I didn't leave he would give me a nickname, and I wouldn't like it. He was so right. That nickname was Butterball. Yep, always been short and kind of round. *sigh*

    So, what do you parents and Fishdog call you? I figured they would call you Mel too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:16 AM

    String Bean, Chicken legs, Flatlands all came from St. T's and your hubby. My Dad to this day calls me Kid. I wonder if he knows my real name. Blake puts my initial on every card and signs a B for his name but we never say it outloud. Before we had kids he called me Booger all the time. Not sure why. A nurse in a unit started calling me Bob and some still call me that. I'm not sure why, I'm a pretty girly girl. Otherwise I'm pretty boring sticking with Robyn most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think nicknames run stronger in some families. And they stick harder on some personalities. :D

    ReplyDelete