Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The other side of the story

I've always been drawn to novels about minor characters who finally get their own story.

One of my favorite novels is by Jean Rhys called Wide Sargasso Sea, which shows the tale of the crazy wife in the attic from Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre. I love how the author breathed life into this character and really gave her an existence of her own.

Just a few days ago, I picked up a YA novel by Lisa Klein called Ophelia, which is from the POV of Ophelia from Shakespeare's Hamlet. I'm eager to dig into this story...it looks fantastic! I've always wanted to know more about this mysterious character.

What about you--any good stories you've picked up lately that show the POV of a character from another book?

Also, what minor or little-known characters from books would you love to see featured in their own stories?

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:31 AM

    I liked "Wide Sargasso Sea" much better than "Jane Eyre", actually. :) (Then again, I didn't really like "Jane Eyre.")

    I love these types of books! Very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Ophelia book sounds awesome! I love Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, I'll definitely let you guys know what I think of Ophelia!!

    Amanda, I loved Jane Eyre, but I love WSS for its lush writing and unique viewpoint...definitely a good read! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:52 PM

    I think Geraldine Brooks' March could be added to that list. It is the story Mr. March, the patriarch of the family featured in Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. Though not a direct retelling of Little Women, it tells the story of a seemingly minor character in that story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister on my tbr pile and can't wait to read it - when I have time! If I like it, next one up is Wicked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure I can think of any....weird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Wide Sargasso Sea.

    ReplyDelete