Thursday, December 04, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...


Every year, Christmas seems to come earlier and earlier. They put up the ginormous 4-story Christmas tree in the lobby where I work two weeks weeks before Thanksgiving this year. I think that's just a little excessive, doncha think?

(And it's definitely a "Christmas tree" this year, despite it being a federal government building. Normally it's a "holiday tree" and decorated in such inclusive colors as blue, silver or gold, but this year it's distinctly a Christmas tree with red ornaments, but I digress...)

I mean, okay, I understand that the economy sucks this year, and people are trying to make consumers head to the malls to spend, and what better way to do that than to remind people that the holiday season is here (even earlier than usual!). But a tree up 2 weeks before Thanksgiving? For crying out loud, I'm barely over Halloween by that point.

But fine. We're now a full week past Thanksgiving, and well into the holiday swing. I get that. I'm okay with it. But why must you play all my favorite classic holiday shows SUPER early?!

Case in point: "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer." Best. Christmas. Movie. Ever. I just love that little dentist wannabe Hermie the Elf, and the doll on the Island of Misfit Toys. And when Rudolph says "Ready, Santa!" at the end, it just tears me up inside.

Well, I hope you were able to watch it last night on CBS, because I was not. (I had dress rehearsal for "The Nutcracker.") Because according to this list, that was the ONLY time all season that it will be on this year!

http://tv.spreadit.org/christmas-tv-specials-movies-schedule-2008/

What the heck? We're still 3 weeks away from Christmas, but no more Rudolph. Oh sure, if I'm interested in watching "Rudolph's Shiny New Year" (Dec 10, Dec 11, Dec 13, Dec 24), "Rudolph & the Island of Misfit Toys" (Dec 11, Dec 15, Dec 21), or "Rudolph & Frosty's Christmas in July" (Dec 13, Dec 24), then I have plenty of other options. And those are fine in a pinch, but they're not the true Rudolph.

So now I'll have to wait another 365 days to get my true Rudolph fix. It just doesn't seem right.

9 comments:

  1. I agree. LAAAAME. That sucks. And I hate how Christmas is starting earlier and earlier...it takes away the excitement for me, especially when stuff starts coming up the DAY AFTER HALLOWEEN. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:03 AM

    If they're going to put a classic on just once during a season, they really ought to make it a little closer to the actual holiday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey--buy the dvd.

    ps--Hermie is my fave too. Kids always look for ornaments for me of the elf who wanted to be a dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:09 AM

    I know, I probably will, Gwen. But I don't know. There's just something more magical about actually watching it on TV rather than on DVD. Or maybe I'm just weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on this one, even though I'm not in the US any more. It used to be my favorite thing all year long - watching the Christmas specials with my dad.

    Hmph.

    Screw CBS! What are they *thinking*?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's what DVR is for, but I agree. Way too early!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:14 AM

    Well, yes, that's what DVR is for, but ours is all screwed up. And anyway, I assumed it would be on again sometime! Dec 3 is way too early, so you'd assume they'd be replaying it probably Dec 16 or later. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, Rudolph will be on again twice next week, but on the ABCFamily channel:

    Thur. Dec. 11 9:00 PM FAM
    Mon. Dec. 15 7:00 PM FAM

    I'd have to check the Dec channel guide at home to see if it will be on again later than that. I think there are so many holiday cartoons, movies and specials out now that they have to start airing them early in order to fit them all in. One good reason to buy the DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:36 AM

    Whoo-hoo, Heather!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete