Monday, September 01, 2008

LABOR DAY

Here in the US, it's Labor Day. Which means I plan to do a whole lotta nothing.

According to Wikipedia:

Labor Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September. The holiday originated in 1882 as the Central Labor Union (of New York City) sought to create "a day off for the working citizens".

Congress made Labor Day a federal holiday in 1894.[1] All fifty states have made Labor Day a state holiday.

Traditionally, Labor Day is celebrated by most Americans as the symbolic end of the summer.

The symbolic end of summer. Sigh. Is it really over?

Today I slept late (9:00...that really is late when you're 'old', as my children like to say). Hubby baked some orange creme rolls for breakfast. We've had coffee and watched a movie and probably I'll go buy groceries today. But that's it. No laboring on Labor Day. (shouldn't they rename the holiday? Unlabor Day?)

I'm sad summer is over. I can still go to the lake on the weekends. It won't get too cold here until sometime in October. But it's not the same. School has started which means homework, soccer 4 days a week, cross country 6 days a week, early mornings to make it to school on time and late nights studying and finishing homework.

Sigh. I'm going to miss summer. But the older I get, the quicker the summer seems to come. So it won't be long until next year. And I'm already ready.

5 comments:

  1. While you're going into Autumn it's Spring down here and we're glad to be getting closer to summer. Now I'll have to shave my legs, winter has a few good things to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh natalie, I love it when I don't have to shave!!!! Enjoy summer. I'm going to try not to be jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer seems to go so fast now, too. Remember how it used to stretch on...there didn't seeem to be such a hurry to get things done. Summer used to be lazy, now it's a finite number of weekends in which to accomplish and accomodate any and all travel and house projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude, i know. it's crazy how fast summer goes. in fact, this year has flown REALLY fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:11 AM

    Eh, it's still summer until Sept 21, and really as long as it's still warm. I don't have kids, so this whole notion of school starting and the end of summer vacation doesn't apply to me.

    And I have another big trip planned this month (Italy), so as far as I'm concerned, it's still summer.

    ReplyDelete