Bio: Carol Alt’s face has appeared on the cover of more than 700 magazines. Her calendars, posters, and exercise videos have all sold millions of copies. She was a recent contestant on The Celebrity Apprentice, is the bestselling author of Eating in the Raw and The Raw 50, is a frequent guest on talk shows, and has acted on stage, television, and in more than 65 movies. This Year’s Model is her first novel.
1. What made you decide to write THIS YEAR'S MODEL? Writing this book was a way of reaching out and giving back. With all my books, I've really aimed to teach. With this one, I wanted to teach the history of the business, teach the girls how to conduct themselves. To show that those with a strong moral anchor make it.
3. How did the cover contest come about? The idea was suggested to me by my friend Melanie Bonvicino of Metro Management. We wanted to do it for the first book, but couldn’t because of time. I'm thrilled we're able to do it for this book. (Details of the contest are here.)
4. What authors do you read? Anne Rice, Dan Brown, a lot of the popular stuff. I also read a lot of health and nutrition books.
5. Who is your favorite character? I have to say my heroine, Melody (Mac). She was named for my favorite Abbott and Costello movie character from The Time Of Their Lives – she was a Revolutionary War ghost trying to get to heaven to be reunited with her lost love.
6. What five things are always in your purse? Water, enzymes, supplements, my phone and cash. Sometimes a lipstick.
7. What music are you currently listening to? Being that my boyfriend is Russian, I likes some European stuff, French, Italian, really a broad mix. I like classic rock, ballads, Creed. For me, it's more about the words.What's the song saying?
8. Tell us about your pets? Unfortunately, I don't have any because I travel too much, but I like cats.
9. One item of makeup you can't live without. Mascara!
10. First thing you drink in the morning. Jasmine Pearl Tropical Rooibos tea with my herbal drops and agave.
11. Best/worst prom/high school memory. I never liked high school. It was a very awkward time for me. Prom I remember having a white gown on and the waitress spilled cherries jubilee on me.
12. If you could go back in time and talk to the teenage you, what would you tell her? Holding your head high and exuding confidence will win you friends. People like to be around those who exude confidence. Kind and generous is how you win friends and influence people. Always bring something to the party and never stay to the end.
13. What are you working on next? First is the sequel to this book for Spring 2009, NEXT YEAR'S MODEL. Then a new project I'm very excited about, a line of skin care called Raw Essentials. I'm starting with a small launch in December on HSN, then a grand launch in January. I like to call this line "Beyond natural and organic." There's no reason to put anything chemical on your face because it’s absorbed into the body.
Thanks, Carol! I look forward to reading NEXT YEAR'S MODEL and checking out Raw Essentials. And thanks to photographer Jimmy Bruch for the fabulous author photo of Carol. If you haven't read THIS YEAR'S MODEL yet, leave a comment and put yourself in the running as one lucky commenter will win a copy!