Friday, February 26, 2010

The Mentorist

For those keeping track--I have now finished 24 books this year. Since my goal is 100, I am almost 25% there after two months. That's great. Er...except maybe I should be writing more. Eeep.

I'm pretty excited to start my mentoring gig on Monday. I volunteered to conduct a three month boot camp with an author who writes young adult also. I was like, "yay, I'll teach her everything I know." And then after taking stock, realized I didn't really know all that much. We won't tell her that though.

And then I realized that while I may not be an encyclopedia--she doesn't need one of those anyway. What I can, and hopefully will offer, is a more like a "What to Expect When You're Expecting to Publish" book.

And I have a whole slew of things to teach her about procrastination, cuz I have that down pat.

Have you ever had a mentor? What was the thing above all other things that you took with you from that relationship?

2 comments:

  1. The thing I loved most about college was the mentoring aspect of the relationships I had with amazing professors.

    They live inside my head. I can't count the number of times I have asked myself "what would Dr. / Professor So-And-So do?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've been unofficially mentored by a lot of people. Each person had some new way of viewing the world, or a particular profession, that really lingered with me. I haven't had an official mentor, per se...

    ReplyDelete