Saturday, February 13, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

A lot of my girlfriends who are single and looking hate Valentine's Day. In fact, now that I think about it, some of my hooked-up gals do, too. And an even greater number of the men I know are not huge fans. I'm very pro-Valentine. I think there are a few reasons for this.

When I was a young girl, with nothing but brothers, my dad never forgot to bring candy or some little gift for each of his kids. It taught me to associate the holiday with affection, not "couplehood." It also taught me to remember small trinkets for the people I love-- regardless of romance-- on this day, which I think of as just a big, huge excuse to say "love you mean it" and give chocolate. I owe dad big for that.

As a result, I have never stopped giving chocolate, cards, or some other little trinket to the adults or kids in my life on Valentine's Day. I even get a little bag of greenies for both Max and Jeeves, and some treats for the kitties. Any living thing who has earned my love in the past year gets rewarded.

I can understand bitterness or indifference toward the commercial side of the holiday. For me, even in my lonely years, it was a reminder to remember how blessed I am, and to keep my heart open. If not for that tiny crack, Ahmed never would have squeaked his way in.

Happy Valentine's Day! Go love somebody... and eat chocolate. :)

3 comments:

  1. Chrissy, you always have the most beautiful posts. ((hugs)) Happy V-day to you too!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, great post! I love what the day means to you :-)

    *scampers off to find chocolate*

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're amazing. Thank you for always sharing how you feel with the people you care about. As one of those recipients of the message, it means a lot.

    ReplyDelete