Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Guilty Childhood Pleasures

Mel's food post yesterday inspired me and got me thinking. And for some reason, my mind kept tripping over one of my favorite childhood treats - Jello poke cake. Do you know what I'm talking about? White cake (has to be white cake so you can see the colors!) baked, then poked with holes and drizzled with Jello. After it sets up in the fridge, it's frosted with white frosting and topped with multi-colored sprinkles.

One bite and I'm a kid again. I haven't made it in a long time, but I do occasionally break it out for cookouts. Everybody loves it and you can't beat how moist it makes the cake.

What would you say your guilty childhood pleasure is, food-wise? Have you made it yourself?

7 comments:

  1. Guilty pleasures? Merita honey buns, drizzled with butter ('cause in addition to the sugar, we needed more fat, right?), and warmed in the oven until the sugar turned crispy. Ooooh, my mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you've seen me, so you know I kind of don't feel that guilty about pleasures... not the edible kind, anyhow.

    My family is saturated with good cooks... and bacon fat.

    But sweets were ALWAYS our downfall. My favorites, the comfort food stuff:

    Turtle Bars
    Frosted Brownies with Marshmallow
    Austrian Tea Cakes (little buttery round cookies slathered in cream cheese frosting)
    Our Family Creole Cake

    Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what they're called but since I was a kid my mom would get my sis and I these cookie things from Publix and we'd split it. It's two big chocolate chip cookies w/ cream in the middle holding them together and then that cookie creation is dipped in chocolate and served when it's dried. That extra chocolate keeps it together. I see them sometimes when I'm grocery shopping and my mouth always waters :) I have to run away from them though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you need to bake this cake for the STAR meeting since I haven't ever had this.

    me? It's those "dunkin' sticks"..very very sweet donut things with a glass of COLD milk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like canned corned beef hash. It's a bajillion calories, mostly from fat and there is nothing good for you about it. But, I used to eat it once in awhile as a kid, so it's comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was deprived. My mom made granola. and carob chip cookies. blea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, Cadbury Creme Eggs. *drool*

    ReplyDelete