Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Seriously?

Meet IBM's supercomputer, Blue Gene. It's going to do something most of us won't even get a chance to.

Compete on Jeopardy.

Because, you know, the regular brainiacs who compete on that show aren't intimidating enough. (I actually know someone who's been on Jeopardy and he's not really intimidating in person, but knowing he's been on Jeopardy is.)

What's next? Blue Gene does high school? Can you imagine the grade curve? Is this really necessary?

At least the computer won't be hooked to the internet. You know, because that would be unfair. *insert rolled eyes here*

Would you play against this machine?

9 comments:

  1. sounds like a gimmick to me. I like watching Jeopardy, but for the contestants. Frankly, Alex gives me the creeps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAH--dude, really? That is so not fair. A computer never gets nervous. It doesn't "forget" stuff. In short, it has an edge that humans can NEVER beat.

    LAME. I dislike this heartily and give this idea two big thumbs down. Um, not that anyone at Jeopardy cares, but whatev. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this on the news and was like "wha...?" It's totally lame. And a waste of time, money and energy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's upsetting to me that this thing was created with no higher purpose in mind than a game show. Surely there are more important problems Blue Gene could be working on?

    Jeopardy fail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How would it even work? I admit I'm curious. (And I, too, know someone who was once on Jeopardy! He was sharp but perhaps not intimidating...nice guy, actually.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet I can beat Blue Gene at Scene It. I have an uncanny knack for that game. I've only played once and my family won't ever play it with me again. I knew answers to movies I'd never seen before. It was weird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't even get the point of it. Friggin ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete