Friday, April 24, 2009

How to save a life

I don't think it will come as a shock to anyone that the world can be a scary place.

There is an energy out there right now that drains us, makes us complacent, makes us jaded. Problems seem to big to fix so we stop caring. The economy, the environment, our safety...it's tiring. It's hard to keep my temper even sometimes--I can't cure cancer. I don't know the answer to world peace. I'm scared to spend my dollars but know if I don't put them back into the economy I'm making it worse.

But you know what?
I can smile at my neighbor. I can say a kind word. I can save the life of a child.

Saturday is World Malaria Day. Malaria is a disease that we have been able to eliminate in many parts of the world. It is preventable and treatable. And it is the leading killer of children in Africa.

I'll say again. It is preventable and treatable. It is still killing children.

Let's get back to preventable part. Because that is the heart of my post. Something I can do when everything else seems so out of my control.

An insecticide treated mosquito nets reduce the transmission of Malaria by 90%. It costs $10 to purchase and deliver a net.

I started a team on Twitter to show that social networking and the internet can be social motivators for big change. And DOING something when you feel there isn't anything you can do is so beneficial to YOU. I felt so good after buying a net, I selfishly went back and bought four more. Because it made me feel good.

There are other charities that provide nets. I chose the United Nations backed site for safety purposes--but even if you don't join this team, I hope you find a way to contribute on World Malaria Day. Even if you just blog the message below today or tomorrow for me and pass on the word.


My team Team Twitter Nets is participating in Nothing But Nets, a campaign to help fight malaria. Millions of people die each year from malaria - but there's a simple, life-saving solution, and all it takes is $10 to buy a bed net, distribute it to a family, and explain its use.

Join me by Sending Nets and Saving Lives:

http://www.mynothingbutnets.net/teamtwitternets?Lang=en-CA&TSID=229028

From our Team Page, click on the 'Join My Team' button to register and help us fundraise. If you can't join us, you can also sponsor our team by making a donation online.

Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. That's a great project

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this just a bit ago. Get on board, peeps, it's crazy-easy and makes you feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great cause. I'm so going to do this!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda Brice6:16 PM

    Great cause, Gwen!

    ReplyDelete