Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Love Hate Relationships

What is it about the love/hate relationships in our lives that make us so passionate about things? Is it the push and pull of emotion? The depths of the two opposite emotions? The reward that balances out the work?

Some of my love/hate relationships:

Exercise: I'm not talking about a walk on the beach, I'm talking about purposefully strapping on my trainers and hitting the elliptical until sweat drips down my neck. I hate it. And yet, when it's over, I love that I've done it. And by that point, I've vowed to do it again the following day, even though I know when I wake up the next morning I'll be thinking of 15 different reasons to skip the day's workout altogether.

Food: I love food. Probably in an unnatural way. And yet, I struggle to eat what's good for me, knowing full well that I feel like crap when I eat crap. Why can't pizza, pasta, mac-n-cheese and cake be healthy diet food?

Writing: Does this one shock you? Let me explain. For me, the process of writing isn't enjoyable. Blank pages are hard for me to fill. I push through each one like it's an uphill climb. In the winter. In bare feet. But once I get those first pages done, I thrive on the revising and the layering and the fleshing out of those bare story bones. I'd almost rather revise someone else's stuff. Ultimately, the finished story makes it all worthwhile and makes me willing to go through it once again for another story.

What are your love/hate relationships?

12 comments:

  1. My biggest love/hate relationship is probably with poker. Winning a tournament or even just a well-played hand is such a rush - even when it's just play money. Losing, on the other hand, makes me wonder why I ever play the stupid game. And yet, I keep playing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you on all those! Especially the writing one. I LOVE revising. There's nothing worse than staring at a blank page. Right now, I'd have to throw my brand new puppy into that love/hate thing. When will she ever be house trained??

    ReplyDelete
  3. WELL said. I'm with you on all three of those. LOL. I love and hate writing sometimes...but I stick with it because that's what I want to do. I've made a commitment to it to see stuff through.

    I loooooove revising. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd make a great editor. That urge to revise is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  5. elliptical is a hate/hate for me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh - totally hear you.
    Its the end result that we know we have to work for. but why does it have to be so stinking hard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine is exercising too! I always feel great when I'm done, but the first few minutes I'm getting into the zone, I'm wondering what the hell I'm doing out of bed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a love-hate relationship with sleep. At night, I hate to put down my book and go to sleep...but in the morning, I love to stay asleep as long as I can! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah. Those are my top three, too. And then I have a love-hate relationship with computers and technology in general. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with all three, we're a lot the same. If I had my way I'd survive on a steady diet of doughnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Food... yeah, I get that one.

    Also my Red Sox. It's sort of an abusive relationship. We love one another, but those boys hurt me, and I get angry. Sure, I shout obscenities. Sure, I scream and cry. But I keep coming back.

    I just... can't stay away. They only hurt me when they can't help it. And when it's good... it's... soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exercise and Writing. Yep. I think those sum it up.
    Can I mention my husband? LOL

    ReplyDelete