Saturday, March 20, 2010

Happy Eostara

Eostara, or Ostara, is one of my favorite holidays. It straddles March 20th and 21st, the Vernal Equinox. I usually begin the celebration with Saint Patrick's Day on the 17th, follow through with the beginning of the month of Alder on the 18th, and follow through til after the Equinox. If Easter falls in that range, too, so much the better!

Old Irish traditions call this time of year Cutios, or "wind time." The Equinox brings us a wonderful time of balance-- day and night in equal portion and harmony. We get cold and warm days, soft and harsh days, and the bitter blanket of winter is stripped away to reveal a quilt of flowers. Crocuses and snowdrops come first. Birds start kicking up a ruckus. Tides go mental and everyone else seems to follow along.

For me it's a time to revitalize, renew, and resurrect. I like to air out my heart, give my spirit a serious brushing, and open every window to clean stale air away. I always find myself refreshed and filled with ambition in this season.

So Happy Eostara, or Joyous Equinox, or Welcome Alder Season! Now gimme some of those mini Cadbury Eggs!!

4 comments:

  1. How 'bout some Robin Eggs? I love those whoppers.
    And I feel it too. Spent the whole morning outside. I have an urge to plant. rosemary, and so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya on the Cadbury Eggs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little mini eggs are the exact, perfect bite size.

    Now... fourteen of them... not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I love the Cadbury eggs...MMMMMMMMM... :D

    ReplyDelete