Saturday, March 13, 2010

Expect Great Things

We really don't treat full figured women very well. I, of course, have lived with the prejudice most of my life. But my heart is aching for Gabourey Sidibe, who should be on top of the world in the wake of her amazing launch into show business as Precious in the independent movie of the same title.

Yet her own director, Lee Daniels, made an embarrassing gaff about her weight at the NAACP awards. And Howard Stern opined that she would "never work again," as reported in the Huffington Post.

Sadly, this speculation has NOT been limited to accidental gaffs or crass comments from hacks like Stern. Fox News speculated about the size of her red carpet dress. The E! channel fashion police team tip-toed around her carefully, clearly terrified of saying something socially incorrect. And many Hollywood rags have been defiantly addressing the "secret truth," that she is unlikely to get work again. (Just a few articles that came immediately following her Oscar nom: HERE, HERE, AND HERE)

Funny... Ms Sidibe has already landed a gig... or two. She will be appearing in a feature for Showtime with Laura Linney and Oliver Platt, The C Word. She will also got a role in Yelling to the Sky, an independent film also featuring Don Cheadle. She is going to be guesting on a few tv series, as well.

The thing that makes my heart fill with pride and admiration is that this young woman ( she's only 26) rises above it. In an interview with IndiWire she said “I think people look at me and don’t expect much. Even though, I expect a whole lot.”

I expect magic from you, Ms. Sidibe. And I am quite confident in your ability to deliver.

4 comments:

  1. "I think people look at me and don’t expect much. Even though, I expect a whole lot."

    I love this quote. Thanks for sharing it. It is inspiring to all of us who have ever thought we're "not as good as..." And isn't that all of us?
    I hope this young woman proves them all wrong and stays confident and true to herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how anyone can say that about her after they've heard the girl speak a sentence. She is bubbling with good spirit and optimism and man can she act! I'm sure she'll defy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many things to fix in this world.
    *pulls out to-do list*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock on, chickie! I love seeing people overcome adversity with confidence.

    ReplyDelete