Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Movies with bite

In keeping with the Halloween week, I've decided to do a little post on my favorite vampire movies. I despise almost every scary movie known to mankind, but somehow vampire movies get a pass. I love them!

Here are a few of my favs:

Let The Right One In

I don't think this movie is nearly as popular as it should be. It's a real sleeper, full of unexpected goodness and a touch of in your face violence. Of course, it's also got a sweet romance. What's not to love? Seriously, check it out. (If you're a Netflix customer you can watch it instantly online.)



Next up is another semi-sleeper:

Near Dark

Near Dark is gritty tale of a family of vampires and the human they lure into their midst. You'll see some familiar faces in this one, too. The whole feel of this film works for me.



Now for the more popular choices:

Underworld I & II

While not a straight up vampire movie because it also features werewolves, it's the atmosphere that pulls me into these films. That sort of blue-black gleam that everything has makes these movies feel slick and edgy even while focused on characters and story lines centuries old. Just great flicks!




Some more favorites:
The Blade series - Especially the one with Ryan Reynolds. You know what I'm talking about.
The Lost Boys - a fond remembrance from my teenage years. Also? Billy Wirth shirtless. Um, yes please.

What's your favorite vampire movie?

15 comments:

  1. Amanda Brice9:48 AM

    LOL, I have never seen any of those, and haven't even heard of some of them.

    Vampire movies...hmmm...I'm thinking. Sadly, I think "Interview with a Vampire", "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and "Bram Stoker's Dracula" are the only ones I've ever seen.

    Nope, haven't seen the much-hyped Twilight. Both the leads annoy me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer Russell10:23 AM

    One of the first movies that comes to mind is the version of "Dracula" from the 1930's (with Bela Lugosi). As far as more modern movies . . . "The Lost Boys" was pretty good, as was "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

    Have not seen (or read) "Twilight," so I cannot comment on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of one! LOL, this is from the 80's and maybe not as good as I remember it being, but The Lost Boys is full of hotties, at the very least!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of my favorite vampire movies:

    Once Bitten - Jim Carrey's first movie (I think). It was about a female vamp looking for virgin blood, and Jim was the young man she picked. It's cute and campy.

    Vampire in Brooklyn with Eddie Murphy as the vampire. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember it was pretty fun.

    Of course, I loved The Lost Boys and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the movie, not the TV show). Luke Perry as Pike? :sigh:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly? My favorite vampire movie is "Love at First Bite" with Georgie Hamilton. HILARIOUS!!! (And romantic, too)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also loved "love at First bite" and of course Buffy.

    I have'nt seen your faves--I'll have to give them a try. I have that Netflix thing too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fright Night (1985) Chris Sarandon and Roddy McDowell, too. Funny and scary.

    Oh, and I echo the Once Bitten above. That movie was damn funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bram Strokers Dracula, but I really like Keanu.

    ReplyDelete
  9. American Werewolf in London

    Buffy-- the mothership!

    Night of the Living Dead

    Gremlins (shut up, it counts)

    Goonies (ditto)

    Shaun of the Dead

    Young Frankenstein (that's Frahnk en Steen!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't tell you how much I love LET THE RIGHT ONE IN. It's an awesome movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the first Underworld movie. (Though I was disappointed by the second, and haven't seen the third.)

    And I love Lost Boys!

    I haven't seen the Buffy movie in years, but I really liked it when I saw it.

    And I loved the Twilight movie. (Mock me if you dare...I have gorgeous vamps on my side!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like others I love:
    Love At First Bite
    The Lost Boys and
    Bram Stroker's Dracula

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have to say "30 Days of Night" even though it scared the sh*t out of me! But I loved Josh Hartnett's character so much, that I had to keep watching;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't seen a whole lot of them and don't have a favorite. That first one about the Right One sounds good though. I also liked the Underworld series. I've never seen Interview with a Vampire. I'd like to see that someday, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm gonna have to go with Queen of the Damned.

    ReplyDelete