Thursday, August 27, 2009

Am I having a girl or a boy?

So...I'm five months pregnant. I have the ultrasound scheduled for Monday when you can find out the gender, but I think we're going to be surprised.

Originally, I'd always said I would find out, because I'm way too uptight for that kind of surprise. I need to know, and I need to know now.

But when I found out I was pregnant, I asked Mr. Brice what he thought...should we find out or be surprised and he said he thought it would be fun to be surprised. The more I thought about it, the more I decided I liked that idea.

I mean, there are so few surprises left in life. Why take away this one? Besides, if we don't know what it is ahead of time, we'll go neutral on the room decor and will probably end up saving a lot of money. (I just know that if I was having a girl and I knew that, I'd spend a fortune on all kinds of cute little frilly girly things EVERY SINGLE TIME I WENT TO A STORE. Trust me, I know myself.) This way, I won't be tempted to spend tons of money until I know for sure, and by then, I won't have time to waste on random splurge shopping.

Right?

Anyway, now that I've gotten myself all psyched up for the big surprise of hearing "It's a _______!" in the delivery room, and for it to actually mean something, Mr. Brice is starting to change his mind. Now he's saying he wants to know.

Grrr!!!!!!

I told him no, we're going to be surprised. So he said he's going to ask the ultrasound tech to tell him but not tell me. I think it's just because he thinks it would be funny to lord it over me for the next four months... "I know something you don't know!"

He can be a real brat.

Anyway, I've taken all the online gender predictors, and going by those and all the other old wives' tales I know, apparently I'm having a girl.

I guess that makes sense, honestly. It seems like everyone else I know has had a boy, so statistically, SOMEONE has to have a girl, right? Otherwise, there's no hope for the species if all the babies born in 2009 and 2010 are boys.

OK, OK, I know. Online gender predictors and old wives' tales aren't accurate. But neither is an ultrasound. I knew someone who was told she was having twin girls, but surprise! It turned out they were actually twin boys. And they only learned the actual gender AFTER they'd bought two of everything in pink and with frills.

So yeah, I'm going by the only fool-proof method. Waiting until the kidlet is born. But that doesn't mean I don't like to have fun speculating.

So what do you think? Girl or boy?

14 comments:

  1. Gotta go with your gut, so my guess is for girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to know....with both kids. However, neither cooperated during the untrasound. Luckily the first time around I worked in the Emergency Room and one night when the ultrasound tech was called in I asked a favor and found out what I already knew in my heart...it was a boy. Second time around I wasn't so lucky. I wasn't working at the hospital anymore, but my mom was so I went to visit her one day and her friend was an US tech and offered to have a look. I already knew it was a girl, but my hubby wasn't convinced. I HAD to know. I also played around with the online gender predictor's and they were mostly accurate...could have been just coincidence.

    Either way, good luck and I hope you have a great pregnancy!

    Kellie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turn the hand you write with to the side and look at the lines that run horizontally beneath the pinky (from palm toward the top of your hand). The ones that wrap almost all the way across are marriages. The smaller ones are children.

    Lines closer to the palm are girls. Those closer to the top of the hand are boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was pregnant with Ian, Mr. Mel convinced me to be surprised. I was really never on board with this concept, I wanted to know. I mean, WHY wouldn't you want to know? Anyway, I went along with the plan and we painted the room in primary colors (wh/ we were planning to do anyway) and wnt on about our business.

    But then, I was put on bedrest and had to go in for several ultrasounds more than the regular amount. And at my last ultrasound, I went alone. I didn't ask, but the technician told me that my 'baby boy was looking good.' she hadn't read the file that said we were choosing to be surprised.

    I was thrilled. I'd been saying all along it was a boy and hub thought girl. So I just kept saying 'You're wrong, it's a boy.' and Finally I said, "tell you what, you can name her if she's a girl, and I name the boy." hehe. Yeah, I'm bad.

    I finally told him a few months after Ian was born that I had known prior to giving birth. We both wanted to find out w/ #2...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrissy, according to you, I'll be married twice but the kids thing I can't really tell. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chrissy-I'm sure all of us are turning our hand and looking at it now. I'd never heard that one. I'm done having kids now, but oddly enough, it was right on the money. I have three lines, but the last line is divided halfway along. (my last pregnancy was twins) That is wild! lol

    I didn't find out with my first. I wanted the whole surprise thing.(it was a girl) The other ones, I wanted to know...and they were all boys.

    Amanda-I never felt a difference knowing vs. not knowing. It is a baby and with that you are overjoyed regardless. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to go for girl since I'm kind of all alone over here right now. lol. I always find out because I can't stand the stress of not knowing. But I'm always wrong. I've never once guessed right so it's good that they have ultrasounds if I really want to know because I could never guess on my own.

    I will say one thing though. With all my kids by the time they yell out, "It's a..." I don't care. I don't care if it's a boy, a girl or a kitten. I'm just glad the freaking thing is out. So I think, for me, the moment would be wasted.

    This time my husband and I were fighting about who was right about the gender so I wouldn't have been able to stand not knowing. Not that he wasn't right anyway. Jerk. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Either way, it's gonna be cool--congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say...I have no guess. But if I call and ask to talk to Mr. Brice, you will know why.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was the opposite! I always thought I'd want the surprise, but after just a few weeks pregnant, I HAD to know. By the time my ultrasound rolled around, I felt like I would have died if they couldn't tell the sex. Ha!

    My first was a girl, second a boy. I loved knowing both times. I suppose I'll guess girl for you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe you're 5 months already! I guess if I were preggo I'd want to know so I can shop, shop, shop! I don't think I'd be able to not want to know, it'd kill me. Hopefully I'll have a child in the next few years...crossing fingers it's a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amanda Brice10:11 PM

    Today was really the first day you could obviously tell I am pregnant, without me telling you. Evidently I popped last night. LOL.

    It's still really little, but now I legitimately have a bump and not just fat. Seriously, it's been very frustrating these last couple of months at work. Nobody believes me when I tell them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, Amanda! I've been too busy lately to hang out on RD lately, so I didn't know!! Congratulations!!! ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete