Friday, January 30, 2009

you know you're from Western Washington when

I feel really bad about all the horrid icy weather people are dealing with on the other side of the country. Not bad enough to move...but still.

I culled some Washingtonisms I found on the net and some I made up.

You know you're from Western Washington when:
  • You know how to say goeduck and know it has no feathers.
  • You measure distance in hours.
  • You have used the a/c and the heater in your car--on the same day.
  • If someone complains about the weather, you tell them to wait ten minutes.
  • You can name five ways to kill a slug.
  • You know who the twelfth man is.
  • You remember where you were May 18, 1980.
  • June is also referred to as "Junuary".
  • You feel guilty throwing anything away that could be recycled if you were at home.
  • You have only been to the Space Needle when you have out-of-town guests.
  • You know what a Frango and a Dick's Deluxe are.
  • An inch of snow = arctic blast and all schools are closed.
  • A snow day means you have roughly four hours to play in the snow before it rains.
  • Everyone you know is pink after the first sunny day in May.
  • There are two types of sandal days: regular and wool sock combo.
  • You can pick out Starbuck's, Tully's, or Seattle's Best in a blind taste test.
  • You know more Canadian rock songs than American rock songs.
  • If someone is carrying an umbrella, you know they are a tourist.
  • Surfing requires wetsuits.
  • You don't know what a turnpike is.
  • You think it's pretty funny that people come from all over the world to get their picture taken with the Sheriff in Forks just because Bella's dad was a sheriff in a book.
  • Your restaurants have signs that say "Bella ate here" only Bella is a character and the author has never even actually been here.
  • The Christmas display at your State Capital also contains a Menorah, an atheist poster, and a festivus pole.

17 comments:

  1. I know how to say goeduck. But I've never tasted one. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, neither have I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing with the umbrella is so true. That's how I know (from down here in OlyWA) that someone's not a native.

    Another weather one: You wear a parka and shorts (with socks and sandals) at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha Connie. It's all about the sunbreaks, isn't it? You can wear shorts--just not usually all day. You get intermittant breaks to throw off of the parka and bask in the sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NW Oregon here, but I love the list...so true, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:15 PM

    Honestly, I think all State Capitols should include Menorahs or other December symbols from other faiths and/or traditions in their holiday displays. Atheism as well.

    *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was the festivus pole I was especially proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ROFL that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Duuuude that's awfully familiar. LOL Wrong side of the country, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know about the Festivus Pole...I'm thinking y'all might have topped (ha!) us with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:08 PM

    Other WW things:
    - Fleece goes with everything.
    - You flip a coin about which bridge to take -- 520 or I-90 -- knowing either way you're going to be stuck in traffic.
    - You've almost been hit by the Duck in Pioneer Square.
    - You've dodged naked bicyclists in Fremont during the summer solstice.
    - Guys proudly wear their Utilikits in public.

    Thanks for making me nostalgic, Gwen. Damn, I miss living in Seattle. I'll be back as soon as I can thaw out of Spokane.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! I was laughing at some of these, since I can TOTALLY relate to it down here on the Northcoast of California. Except for the Space Needle. And the Bella stuff. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:11 AM

    I love this list, Gwen! And so much is true. Yay for the twelfth man! And so true about the umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! Too Funny! Not from that area, but I still got some of the references...and I'll remember to leave my umbrella at home next time. lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cass, come visit. We'll let you carry an umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous7:32 PM

    LOL Bella ate here...luv that.

    ReplyDelete