Here are some things you can do:
- Talk to them. Let them know you care and that you are worried. Don't blame them or shame them--just let them know your concern.
- Urge them to talk to doctor or get counseling.
- She may not feel she needs help--but she does. Try to get a parent or teacher involved.
- Don't let the discussion turn into a fight. You may need to back off and keep your involvement open-ended. It doesn't mean you give up--it means you don't let them push you away and keep the lines of communication open.
- Eating disorders require specialized help--while you are equipped to love and support your friend or loved one--she'll need the kind of medical and psychological treatment from professionals.
To learn more about eating disorders, please visit http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/eatingdisorders.html