I was listening to my ipod while writing the other day. Sometimes I can do it, sometimes I have to turn it off. Mostly, I like to listen to certain songs that remind me of my characters right before I write...to help me focus.
But it got me thinking about soundtracks and moods, so I thought it would be fun to come up with a soundtrack for my life right now, based on certain moods set to music. I'm pretty sure this changes as I go through phases. I know, for instance, before my divorce, I listened to a lot of Alanis Morrisette. But that was eight years ago. I'm in a different space now.
So, here is mine. What's yours?
- Pissed off: Who Made Who by ACDC. I think most of their songs are interchangable when it comes to being frustrated, angry, or po'd. They do a fine job of thumbing their nose, yes?
- Driving to work (or school) but not wanting to go: Supermassive Black Hole by Muse. I just dig on this song. It's got a good beat and you can dance to it...but it has a little swing in it that gives me a little attitude. Plus the title fits. Anyway...put it on, turn it waaaay up, and see if you don't do that little head wobble thing in the car.
- Hanging with my girl: Low by Flo Rida. I don't really like this song, but when my daughter and I sing it in the car, its pretty funny and it reminds me of our shopping trip.
- Best song for kissing: Breathe by Faith Hill. That one stays static--it's the song we fell in love too, the song I walked down the aisle to...it's just the forever song.
- Happy or need to be happy: Beautiful Day by U2. This song just always picks me up--it's all about how you look at life. Kind of like, "Well I'm stuck in traffic, but check out how blue the sky is today" kind of a thing
- Moody : I've been digging on the Ghosts cd by NIN lately. All instrumental
- Emotional: The Sun Will Set for You by Linkin Park and Hate Me Today by Blue October. These two help me get that gut-wrenching thing down for hard to write emotional scenes
- Getting ready to go out at night--party or dance or whatever: Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Great White. (okay, actually anything from the 80's but that's another blog post)
- Bored? The whole dang Black Holes and Revelations CD by Muse. Every song is so different. It's very cool.
- My Anthem: Learn to Fly by Foo Fighters. I hear different things in the lyrics depending on what I need at that time in my life. Right now, it's speaking to me about living life on my own terms. Everyone needs an anthem. What is yours?