Friday, April 22, 2011

Expectations

“The best things in life are unexpected - because there were no expectations.” ~ Eli Khamarov


One of the things I loved the most about writing Falling Under was that is was such an organic process to me. The story was there, I just had to write it. I didn't know what happened next, and it didn't really matter because whatever was coming was how it was supposed to be. 

Book two is a little different.

The sequel for Falling Under has been a struggle for me because the story wasn't just waiting for me to write it--I am having to go in and FIND it. Some days, I totally don't feel up for the task. One of the things that is getting in the way....wait for it....are you sure you're ready....praise for Falling Under. Yes, praise. 

I have been blessed with some fantastic readers who give me such joy when they write to me or write reviews about Haden and Theia. But the flip side of that joy is that I am now terrified of letting them down. I keep trying to recreate the magic, and we all know from disasters like Speed 2 and Jar Jar Binks that some things are better left alone. 


But then I remember that one of my favorite scenes in a move EVER came from a sequel. And I cling to it and hope that I can find that sweet spot in Dreaming Awake and that fans of Haden and Theia will still be fans by the time I am done.

So...how about you? Do expectations help you raise the bar or do they paralyze you instead?

And that scene I love?

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that writing book 2 in my urban fantasy series, Flesh and Blood, was a very similar experience for me. (Book 3, Bad Blood, was not, fortunately.)

    My best advice is this: Let the story take over when you can. Remember what made you happy about writing the first book, then try to find that again. Take the unexpected path.

    ReplyDelete