Today is Columbus Day here in the USA and it is a holiday for many offices. (Mine is NOT one of them... *grumble*)
In honor of Columbus Day, I thought I'd post some little known facts about El Capitan.
- Christopher Columbus’ name is not Christopher Columbus. It is Chrisoffa Corombo. Christopher Columbus is the English translation of sorts.
- The Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria were not the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria. Well, the Pinta was but the Nina was a nickname for the Santa Clara and the Santa Maria was known as the Gallega.
- While Columbus is considered a hero in the U.S., Spain and Italy, he was not well-known during his life.
- Christopher Columbus never actually set foot on U.S. soil. He landed on an island in the Bahamas.
- It was not Columbus’ idea to sail across the ocean. It was his brother, Bartholomew’s idea.
- Columbus was an opium addict, the same drug used in producing modern-day heroin.
- There is genetic evidence that Columbus and his men brought the sexually transmitted disease Syphilis to Europe.
Syphillis? Gee Chris, sounds like you could be called a Land Ho, too!
Hope you're off work or school today and enjoying something fun!