Friday, May 14, 2010

Who ever said life was fair?

My husband and I have been losing weight together, using the same diet. Of course, he cheats a lot more than I do, adding extra desserts and other things not on the plan.

We've also both been working out and I don't think it's exaggerating to say my work outs are harder. He does some crunches and push-ups and maybe lifts a few weights or jumps on the elliptical for a few minutes. I spend an hour running/power walking/sweating like a lawn sprinkler, hefting weights, doing lunges, abs until I want to cry, push-ups and plank until my arms give out and guess what?

He's still losing weight faster than I am. Every pound down is a blood, sweat and tears battle for me. He slips up, eats a cookie and still wakes up a pound lighter.

It's crazy making.

But it's also life. There are people who seem to get everything they go after without any real effort - that new job, the awesome guy who adores them, the amazing book deal. You know the type. They inspire jealousy, envy and confusion in us. Why them? What makes them so special? Why don't we ever get a break?

Who knows? What I do know is that kind of thinking can take you off track and make you lose sight of your own goals. Every one of us has a path to travel and no amount of wishing will change it. What will? Hard work. Perseverance. Determination.

Forget what others are doing. Focus on your own goals. It's the only way to get where you want to go.

5 comments:

  1. That's so true. I was getting frustrated with my hubby's weight loss, too. I felt I was suffering much more for little results. I had to stop comparing myself to him because it was very discouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! A few years back Jennifer Crusie gave a talk at the M&M conference on setting goals. She said the only goals you could aspire to were goals you could personally achieve on your own (ie- "I will query x number of agents a month" vs. "I will get an agent.") Everything else was out of your hands. It was great advice, and your post reminded me of it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly. The more time spent on what other people are achieving is less time for achieving our own goals. (I hear you on the unfairness of weight distribution, though. Husband can eat anything, never exercise and still stay slim. Ugh.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great advice--comparing yourself to others will never make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUPER advice, not only for weight loss but other areas of life too!

    ReplyDelete