Monday, May 02, 2011

Guest Post: Maria Geraci


Movies I wanna watch this summer
By Maria Geraci


First off, thanks, Ficitionistas for inviting me to guest blog today!

Hollywood does two kinds of movies. The more serious “artsy fartsy” ones that go on to win all the Oscar nominations- like the fabulous The King’s Speech (which I loved). Those are the movies that come out during the fall/winter holidays right before the nominations are made. I think this is so the movie is fresh in the minds of the Academy who does all the voting and decides what’s “good” or not.

Then there is the other kind of Hollywood movie. The blockbuster. Those come out in the summer. This summer there is a virtual plethora of awesome movies coming out. There are so many in fact, I couldn’t even begin to name them all here. So I’m going to tell you about the ones I’m most excited about.

SCREAM 4

Okay, so this one is out all ready. I’m a huge Wes Craven fan. I think he’s brilliant. I absolutely loved Scream 1 and the second one wasn’t so bad. The third one was stretching it, I think, but I’ve heard absolutely great things about this fourth installment (including that no one who saw it figured out who the killer was until the end). Fabulous. Now I just have to drag Mike Geraci to the movies and we’re set.


SOMETHING BORROWED

Loved the Emily Giffin book. Love Kate Hudson. Love Ginnifer Goodwin and LOVE John Krasinski. If I don’t love this movie I’m gonna cry (advance reviews have not been good but I’m ignoring them). I’m not bothering to take Mike Geraci to this one. This is me and my girlfriends all the way.


COWBOYS AND ALIENS

This will probably brand me as the biggest Mom Geek ever, but I can’t remember when I’ve been so excited about a movie trailer. Have you seen it yet? This flic stars Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford. When I first heard of the movie, I think I remember the original title was Cowboys vs. Aliens (which I like better) but none-the-less, I think it’s brilliant. Here’s the blurb:  A spaceship arrives in Arizona, 1873, to take over the Earth, starting with the Wild West region. A posse of cowboys are all that stand in their way
Awesome! If this flops it isn’t because of the branding or the idea or the stars involved. I just can’t see it being anything other than this summer’s big mega money maker. I think this is definitely a family movie night kind of flic (and one that my kids will probably see more than once).



THE HELP

I absolutely loved the book by Kathryn Stockett and I can’t imagine not loving the movie (Ms Stockett also helped write the screenplay). It feels more like a winter movie than a summer movie, but I’m not complaining. I love the casting and am prepared to take my Kleenex with me! Mike Geraci can come along too.











What summer movies are you most excited about?








Maria Geraci writes fun, romantic women’s fiction. You can visit her website here. Her latest release THE BOYFRIEND OF THE MONTH CLUB is available now.




2 comments:

  1. My husband's dying to see Thor and I'm really excited about the Green Lantern (hello, Ryan Reynolds!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Harrison Ford movie looks awesome. I can't wait! OMG. Does he play a scoundrel? Because I need more scoundrels in my life.

    ReplyDelete