Friday, June 25, 2010

Little lies we tell ourself

I've been watching what I eat and working out for the past several months and I've now lost 21 pounds. It's a great feeling. I'm not done, but I'm getting there. In the meanwhile, I had to go out and buy a few summer things to get me through until I hit goal.

I tried on a pair of shorts that were 2 sizes smaller than what I had been wearing and not only did they fit, but they looked good.

First thing that came to my mind? They must be mislabeled.

The more I thought about that statement, the more I realized how often I do that in other parts of my life. Like my books. When someone tells me they liked one of the books I've written, that small voice creeps in and discounts it.

Why do we do that to ourselves? What lies have you told yourself lately? I say we need to cut out the little lies and enjoy every moment for what it is. Who's with me?

5 comments:

  1. Well, I certainly wish Iwas with you about the 21 lb weight loss. Congratulations! That's awesome.

    But I totally know what you mean about accepting praise or good news. I swear, this goes back to my Catholic school girl days when the nuns used to drill in the concept of modesty. If something was good, then it could be better. And nothing was ever perfect. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, way to go, Kitteh!!

    By now everyone knows I am still very chubby, but lost a lot of weight, too. I still buy my tops too large. Every once in a while I have to go somewhere special and wear something that FITS, and no matter how often I do it, I'm always surprised at what I actually look like in clothing that isn't too loose.

    I had a professor, backe when I was becoming a full-on-nerd, who taught Social Linguistics. She said women tend to qualify about three times more often than men. We may have come a long way, babies, but we have miles to go before we sleep. We're still apologizing for having ideas!

    You are sooo not alone, sister!

    --Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job,K.

    I still have a hard time taking a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! Way to go on the 21 lbs!

    I'm the opposite. I bought some new blue jeans a while back. I knew I'd gained weight, so I went up a size. When I got home and tried them on, they were so tight I couldn't sit down. Stupid manufacturer must make a small size 14. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the weight loss, that's terrific.

    ReplyDelete