Saturday, May 23, 2009

Trends in YA Literature

According to the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), young adult reading trends are, as is often the case, mirroring adult trends. Vampires and dark fantasy themes are dominating, with a new emergence of books that are "Gossip Girl" styled and themed.

In an informative interview with Sarah Debraski (HERE), the head of YALSA says fantasy will continue to have a strong presence, citing Harry Potter as another influence lingering on the genre.

One of the interesting points, for me, was a brief mention of the popularity of Graphic Novels. This seems to be a very specific, insulated market. The same, of course, can be said for the adult GN readership.

I cut my teeth on fantasy novels and general fiction, then later discovered romance and some of the lesser-known subgenres. Where do YOU think the market is going? Perhaps more importantly... where would you LIKE it to go?

6 comments:

  1. Vampires and certain kinds of dark fantasy has been around since I was a teenager. That was... well, a while ago. Let's say Anne Rice is a new comer. I've never gotten tired of spine chilling stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally think YA is going the Buffy meets Gossip Girl route. At least, I hope so. Cuz that's the way I roll, er, write. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question. I adore graphic novels. I also love fantasy and futuristics (I've been seeing a lot of those lately too--YAY!!)...and I think paranormal is going to stay, even if it starts to evolve in new and unusual ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda Brice5:22 PM

    I agree that paranormal is here to stay, but I think we'll see more unusual paranormal creatures or powers. At least I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to see more historicals. I'm too lazy to do the research for them myself, but I love reading them.

    ReplyDelete